Does TriCare cover routine eye exams?
- Active duty family members (ADFMs) using TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Standard are covered for one annual routine eye examination.
- Prime ADFMs may schedule their annual routine eye exam with any in-network optometrist or ophthalmologist without referral, authorization, or preauthorization from their primary care manager (PCM).
- Standard ADFMs may self-refer to and schedule an appointment with any TRICARE-authorized optometrist or ophthalmologist, regardless of whether or not they are a network provider. There will be an out of pocket cost-share.
- NOTE: Routine eye exams are not covered by TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Standard/Extra for retiree sponsors and family members.
- Remember, eye exams and treatment required for medical conditions or injury of the eye require a referral/authorization and may be covered by TRICARE medical benefits with the usual cost-shares or copays.
Does TriCare cover glasses or contact lenses?
Contact lenses or glasses may be available through your MTF. TRICARE coverage is only available for the following conditions:
- Contact lenses for treatment of infantile glaucoma.
- Corneal or scleral lenses for treatment of keratoconus.
- Scleral lenses to retain moisture when normal tearing is not present or is inadequate.
- Corneal or scleral lenses prescribed to reduce a corneal irregularity other than astigmatism.
- Intraocular lenses, contact lenses, or eyeglasses to perform the function of the human lens, lost as the result of intraocular surgery or ocular injury or congenital absence.
How do Military members and dependants get glasses?
- Military members and dependents are on their own when it comes to purchasing eyeglasses and contact lenses.
- That is why AFEyewear is here…to offer the highest quality eyewear with an exclusive military discount.
- We recommend using your Tricare vision benefit to obtain a routine eye examination and receive a proper prescription. Always remember to ask your eye care provider to put your PD measurement on your prescription as well.
- Once you have your prescription we will guide you the rest of the way.
- You can search for a specific brand or pair, use the Guide Me feature of our site, or call one of our highly trained opticians if you want someone to walk you through the process.
- We offer the highest quality lenses, the lowest possible prices, and exceptional customer service…all exclusive benefits to our military members and dependents.
AFEyewear.com is the global leader in online eyeglasses, sunglasses, eyewear, contact lenses and goggles sales. Our Austin office employs licensed optometrists and a staff of experienced opticians. Our Eyewear Try-On can be viewed at Frame Finder.
Shop Eyeglasses »Shop Sunglasses »Shop Rx Sunglasses »